Thursday, January 8, 2009

School Portrait Almost Finished


One thing I've noticed about the pastel pencils is you have to go through a roughed in stage and progress to a refined stage - which I don't usually do with colored pencils. You can see what I mean with the markers which are not yet finished. I've roughed in the colors and values but they just aren't right yet. The next step will be to correct anything that is off including shape, color and values.

So this will be finished really soon, I promise. We had another snow day with the kids yesterday and today my kindergartner is home sick, so it may be a little while. Its snowing again today...

4 comments:

hbedrosian said...

This portrait is coming out beautifully! I love the barrette - is it Hello Kitty?

Cute snowman on the window!

Nothing to See said...

Hi Nicole,

This portrait is gorgeous. I had to really strain to see what you meant about the markers. At first (and second) glance, they look beyond PERFECT! I like the barrette too. The detail is amazing and beautiful in your work.

Kendra said...

Nicole, your portraits are lovely, whether in pencil or pastel. You are so right in the fact that its good to push yourself out of your comfort zone. Helps us grow. I still enjoy struggling with oils! Best of luck with your portrait commissions.

Unknown said...

Another great leap out of your comfort zone. Have you actually rendered marker stains on your daughter's hands? (the kind of detail that only mum's zoom in on)